windows vista

anyone buy it?

Posted: Jan 30 2007, 04:20 PM
I just got suckered in and bought the upgrade to Vista Ultimate. It better not suck, because it was exactly $1 less than what I pay a month for rent.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 04:35 PM
Geez, that's a big financial risk. I'm not really too worried about the upgrade. I'm gonna sit back and see how many problems it has at first and how people like it before I invest in it.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 04:48 PM
QUOTE (hett @ Jan 30 2007, 04:35 PM)
Geez, that's a big financial risk. I'm not really too worried about the upgrade. I'm gonna sit back and see how many problems it has at first and how people like it before I invest in it.

it's not really a 'big' financial risk -- it was $259, and there won't be another windows version for 5-6 years i'm assuming. i believe the basic home version is only $100 to upgrade.

but yah, i'm sure there are problems with it. plus it will likely run slower than XP on most computers. it's 39% done downloading, so i guess we'll see tonight how much it sucks.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 04:56 PM
QUOTE (tim @ Jan 30 2007, 05:48 PM)
it's not really a 'big' financial risk -- it was $259

Sorry, I was thinking how much my rent costs.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 04:57 PM
QUOTE (tim @ Jan 30 2007, 04:20 PM)
I just got suckered in and bought the upgrade to Vista Ultimate. It better not suck, because it was exactly $1 less than what my parents pay a month for my rent.

fixed.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 05:10 PM
QUOTE (sec @ Jan 30 2007, 04:57 PM)
fixed.

my parents don't pay my rent.

edit again: wait... don't you live at home? for free? next time you want to edit my posts it'd be great if they were factual and less hypocritical. thanks.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 05:11 PM
QUOTE (hett @ Jan 30 2007, 04:56 PM)
Sorry, I was thinking how much my rent costs.

yah we have a good deal and 3 people living here, so it's cheap.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 05:44 PM
yes i live at home... at HOME... where my parents already live... and pay a mortgage. that they would have to pay even if i didnt live here.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 05:46 PM
QUOTE (sec @ Jan 30 2007, 06:44 PM)
yes i live at home... at HOME... where my parents already live... and pay a mortgage. that they would have to pay even if i didnt live here.

So you don't pay rent then? Must be nice.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 05:48 PM
well... i pay my dad $400 a month of the debt that i have accrued during school... ie: cars and car accidents.
which is why i still live at home... thatd be rent right there.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 06:14 PM
ive been waiting for vista to come out to buy a new computer but now im having some car troubles which is likely going to take away my computer money. i think its going to be a little ridiculous since i've heard you need at least a 256MB video card and minimum 1GB memory. this seems like it will bog down so many computers for a few years until these are all commonplace.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 06:21 PM
QUOTE (SIGH @ Jan 30 2007, 04:14 PM)
ive been waiting for vista to come out to buy a new computer but now im having some car troubles which is likely going to take away my computer money. i think its going to be a little ridiculous since i've heard you need at least a 256MB video card and minimum 1GB memory. this seems like it will bog down so many computers for a few years until these are all commonplace.

not to mention the whole getting married thing will put a strain on your finances.
Posted: Jan 30 2007, 06:53 PM
QUOTE (Daddy_X @ Jan 30 2007, 05:21 PM)
not to mention the whole getting married thing will put a strain on your finances.

not really. im getting a $2/hour raise soon and we have separate finances and her parents said they'd pay for the wedding. we each have our own accounts and we have a joint account which we put in half of what our bills are every month.
Posted: Jan 31 2007, 01:04 PM
QUOTE (SIGH @ Jan 30 2007, 06:53 PM)
not really. im getting a $2/hour raise soon and we have separate finances and her parents said they'd pay for the wedding. we each have our own accounts and we have a joint account which we put in half of what our bills are every month.

Finally a COUPLE with their heads out of the asses..... I applaud you both!!! That is so the way to do it! That way no body feels like the strain to support the house hold is just their's to carry.

This post has been edited by PanFry on Jan 31 2007, 01:06 PM

Posted: Jan 31 2007, 01:22 PM
QUOTE (tim @ Jan 30 2007, 05:48 PM)
but yah, i'm sure there are problems with it. plus it will likely run slower than XP on most computers. it's 39% done downloading, so i guess we'll see tonight how much it sucks.

What's the word?
Posted: Jan 31 2007, 09:50 PM
Fuck it. XP works just fine. Why fuck with a good thing?
Posted: Jan 31 2007, 09:54 PM
QUOTE (junkiecosmonaut @ Jan 31 2007, 10:50 PM)
Fuck it. XP works just fine. Why fuck with a good thing?

drinkup[1].gif
Posted: Feb 1 2007, 01:39 AM
it looks like XP skinned. i mean there's some cool features, but i feel like most i could have used an extra program in XP and achieved the same thing. the windows all do some cool fancy shit, but unless you have a top of the line video card i would just wait until you're ready to buy a new computer.
Posted: Feb 1 2007, 11:15 AM
its seems kinda late to be adding this but vista is not worth the money to upgrade right now. its in essence just a pretty version of XP. and yes if you don't have a 256mb graphics card its forces you to upgrade but, it will also disable some of its features to help your computer run faster so if you have a low end computer than you probably wont see any of the features that it has to offer. i advise sticking with XP for a couple more years unless you have money to waste.
Posted: Feb 1 2007, 11:48 AM
all this stuff about 256mb graphics cards... if you people would just stumble around drunk in your room with glasses of water, you'd already have a 256mb graphics card. i break too much sad.gif

here's one of the few cool features.
Attached Image Attached Image
Posted: Feb 1 2007, 07:49 PM
i have a 256mb graphics card. that is such a ripoff of a mac. i hate macs and knowing that vista is a ripoff of OS X blows.
Posted: Feb 25 2007, 06:38 PM
I just bought a new system a week after Vista came out. Which sadly was not fast enough to avoid getting Vista. I am so pissed off that none of my programs work with it. I suggest waiting at least a year before purchasing Vista.
Posted: Mar 13 2007, 09:44 PM
Whats good about Vista is basically that it's everything you always wanted in an OS without buying everything seperate all rolled into one...The bad thing is, it's new, and with new things comes many many bugs/problems...

I would give it a while before upgrading to it if anyone hasn't done it yet...I have the beta, which was free, so I'm perfectly fine with that for now guns.gif
Posted: May 18 2007, 12:12 PM
I just bought a new computer with vista. I have to say that I like the look of it so far. I only have an integrated video card right now and it seems to be running just fine to me. The whole feel of vista just seems better to me than xp. I'm glad i got it.
Posted: May 18 2007, 12:49 PM
QUOTE (_kiLLswitCh_ @ Mar 13 2007, 09:44 PM)
I have the beta, which was free, so I'm perfectly fine with that for now guns.gif

then why are you shooting people?